Saturday 2 July 2011

A shoe-in for the job

Dear Mum,

I meant to write earlier but, I must confess, I was somewhat exhausted by an extensive shopping session.

This trip was not for a stylish new suit, nor for a flattering bikini, nor an elegant pair of heels. Oh no. The purpose of the expedition was to purchase a pair of black ‘loafers.’ Do pause to laugh hysterically before you continue reading...

We have been instructed to wear ‘loafers’ to work.  Needless to say female employees, and particularly those under the age of thirty (including yours truly), were greatly unenthusiastic about this new uniform.

Research into good quality leather loafers was not encouraging.  When I visited high street brands I discovered loafers resembling correctional shoes. I looked like I was modelling a pair of pasties on the end of my legs.

These ‘man style shoes’ are, apparently, bang on trend, which I fail to understand. I take an interest in fashion as much as the next female graduate. But these bulky monstrosities simply do not do it for me.

Speaking of fashionable footwear, I equally do not understand the trend for wearing ankle socks with court shoes.   I left ankle socks at primary school door along with plimsolls, chequered dresses and bunches. 

Call me crazy, but I would like embrace my gender and age in the way that I dress.

You will be pleased to hear, however, that I found a pleasant alternative to the loafer - the moccasin. Although almost identical in appearance, this shoe is far less stiff than the loafer and not as offensive to the female foot. 

Must dash off, my knitting calls...

Love Lucy x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment