Friday 15 July 2011

The best of times, the worst of times

Dear Mum,

Here I am, with a day off! Sitting here in my room is a sharp contrast to sitting on a train packed to the point of rupture with the employed masses yesterday morning...

Opposite me sits a man talking to “Zo” on the phone, telling her that a hard drive will take more than three hours to arrive, love, while chewing on gum with ferocity.  My eyes cannot help but wander to his mouth, watching the gum glisten as it is stretched and compressed, stretched and compressed, accompanied by sticky sound effects.

To my left is a middle-aged gentleman in jeans and a cream linen jacket. Our carriage has the privilege of listening to his DJing skills as he wavers between heavy rock and indie music on his iPod, at 7.45 am.

Whilst slightly exasperated at my neighbours, I take delight in nestling into my seat. An English degree means reading a wonderful array of literature but lacks up to the minute paperbacks. Commuting is a novelty because it allows me to catch up with recent releases for two hours daily.

Today I finished ‘Rebecca,’ relieved it didn’t undermine ‘Jane Eyre’ as its inspiration, and it got me thinking about re-writing masterpieces. 

It is, I think, a wonderful idea, to celebrate a literary artwork by transforming it into a modern and accessible rendition, provided the writer does not demean the original.

Perhaps I could re-work ‘Great Expectations,’ depicting a Pip-like graduate entering the world of London employment, recognising life does not transpire as you assumed and realising one’s livelihood has been down to the slippery world of debts. This sounds all too familiar...

Lucy x

No comments:

Post a Comment