Thursday 7 July 2011

From Midshipman to Commodore

Dear Mum,


I can’t believe Graduation has been and gone! It seems ironic that the pinnacle moment of three years of work is so fleeting. A mere handshake in response to your name being announced, a set of robes that a duplicate graduate will wear the following day.

I always imagined a great sense of reverence, an aura of wisdom shrouding me when standing in the procession. 

I was instead preoccupied with the concern of tripping over my gown as I approached the Vice-Chancellor or too many glasses of Pimms meaning I incompetently threw my mortar board and clouted the photographer.

Thank you for pinning my gown, by the way.  It is obvious the graduation outfits were designed for men as us slender shouldered creatures constantly battled with the slipping hood.

(I’m not sure I told you that one girl from my class pinned the hood to her bra.  She spent half the day pulling it down as it rose to a necklace’s position before rethinking her pinning strategy).

Anyway, it was lovely that you and Dad were able to meet my friends and their parents.  There is something very momentous about having one’s favourite people in one place at one time. I guess that’s what so special about weddings – the collection of friends and family (and those you feel obliged to invite), laying aside their own lives and sharing in a precious moment.

Like you’ve always told me, tradition is an anchor in life.  It was very special to have you and Dad at sea with me!  

Lots of love from your now qualified sailor! x

No comments:

Post a Comment