Monday 4 July 2011

Phone 4 u

Dear Mum,

I do apologise for my text earlier.  Predictive text has many advantages but it can be a bit of a nuisance.

The number of times I’ve keyed ‘maxi dress’ and afterwards received a reply reading “‘Nazi dress?! What have you gotten yourself into?”

Anyway, I’m not sure how ‘pubic’ featured in my 160 character message to you this morning, sorry about that.

I thought of you on the train this morning. A teenage girl’s phone rang half a dozen times. It wasn’t just that the ringtone clattered about the train at 8am. She had assigned various songs to differing friends, meaning we had short sharp bursts of R&B’s finest virtuosos.

She did not observe the narrowed eyes of tired commuters.

I know piercing ringtones is a bugbear of yours, particularly when the call recipient is nonchalant about answering, meaning the surrounding individuals must listen to the infamous descending Nokia ringtone.

Do you remember when you first got a mobile phone, six years ago? It was a mysterious entity to you then.

We were shopping when it first rang. You tutted loudly and made a point of looking over each shoulder.

 “Mum, it’s your phone.”

“No it’s not,” you said confidently.

“Humour me - unzip your bag.”

Following my instruction you produced a flashing, singing phone.  A look of sheer terror was imprinted on your face. “How do I answer it?”

And now look at you! Questioning your daughter’s text speak, abbreviating sentences and reading my blogs!

You, Mum, are not simply a domestic goddess but a modern woman!
LOL , L x

No comments:

Post a Comment