Saturday 30 June 2012

The O-level? O no!


Dear Mum,

About this time every year the media takes to the subject of exams and slates the current education system.

Every year I find myself scrunching at newspapers, the blood rushing to my cheeks as I grimace and snarl at the headlines and read those undying words: “easier”, “new plans” “replace” and “properly testing.”

It seems students are never safe from new plans.

I feel for all of those students who have just finished their exams, reading Michael Gove’s plans to reintroduce O-levels over their morning porridge, previously elated at having jumped the first hurdle in examination procedure.

They must find this completely undermining. I certainly do.

My GCSE’s were the hardest exams I’ve taken and this includes my degree modules.

This being the first set of proper exams (SATS don’t count – they’re not on my CV) it was a whole new challenge... The sleepless nights of not knowing what to expect; the chopping and changing of subjects (German on Monday afternoon, maths on Tuesday morning, then history in the afternoon, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday...); all squashed into a couple of weeks, everything riding on how you felt on that day.

Come A-levels and university, I was a dab hand. There were coursework and exams throughout the academic year, not just in the summer, so I could hedge my bets. I knew what to expect in the hall (such as invigilators looking over your shoulder, judging me. They definitely do it). And I had selected the subjects I was interested in and, ultimately, good at, i.e. not foreign languages, maths, sciences, or any subject that persistently uses the word “hypothesis.”

The GCSE’s where physically and emotionally exhausting due to the number of exams, concentration of exams within a short space of time and resulting amount of revision required. Plus in some cases, primarily ‘hypothesis’ subjects, I had a lot to learn for the first time, lessons on trigonometry and the Doppler effect having gone over my head. At 200 miles an hour. In fact I doubted I was even in those lessons.

But here we are. Listening to a middle aged, middle class man bang on about a set of exams he has not taken.

It was so refreshing to read in last Sunday’s Sunday Times Magazine that a group of celebrities sat the 11+ and respectively failed to get into Grammar School.

Finally – a group of adults giving it a go before passing judgement.

Are GCSE exams easier? Or are students working harder?

After all, university places are more competitive than 30 years ago and they’re sodding expensive – most students are probably aware they need the best results to ensure they make the most of their future.

And, aware of the above, aren’t parents generally pushing their children more?

Plus teaching resources are vastly improved since you were at school – there are self-help books, practice papers and online sources.

Students are training themselves to give the examiners what they want, which is surely what exams boil down to.

And yet this is not enough.

Because us youngsters are working hard and succeeding an MP resolves to throw us a curve ball, to diminish all of that hard work by taking a social step backwards.

Perhaps next they’ll be re-introducing the cane and dunce hat.

We’ll be that grey area in history – The GCSE Debacle.

In twenty years time an employer will look at my CV with a puzzled expression, the GCSE column meaning very little, and I’ll lose out on a job to a younger or older O-level candidate. 

My year group also missed out on the A* at A-level, meaning an employer who does not know the year this initiative was introduced could look at our A-level grades sniffily.

There was clearly a reason for O-level exams being scrapped and replaced by GCSEs but this reason lies dead and buried and forgotten underneath the paperwork sitting on Michael Gove’s desk.

It doesn’t take a genius to note the faults in his new plans. My hypothesis is that Gove doubts students’ ability, ambition and the varying modes of revision at their disposal.

But then I only took those easy GCSE exams so what do I know...? 

No comments:

Post a Comment