Tuesday 28 February 2012

“It gives me the heebie jeebies...”


Dear Mum,

One of my closest friends is frightened of buttons.

Not any and every button – that would be bizarre. She doesn’t hyperventilate when walking through the button haven that is the Marks and Spencer knitwear section. But upon spotting buttons looking up from the gutter or abandoned and desolate at the bottom of desk draw and Sara becomes a quivering wreck.

A housemate from uni, on the other hand, was frightened of jelly, meaning at any house party serving jelly vodka shots Carrie would find refuge sitting on the stairs, out of sight of the wobbly sweet treats.

It was easy to forget this phobia. Once, when she was unwell with a ‘stomach upset’ (hangover) and I took her a cup of fresh water and some toast, I absentmindedly rambled “I tell you what always made me feel better. Jelly. My Mum would make big bowls of the stuff and I’d have portions throughout the day. I always got fed up of the plain taste of toast and craved something with flavour. Plus it slips down so easily. I tell you what, I need to nip out and get some milk, I’ll get you some if you like.”

I turned round to discover her crying.

Food dislikes are generally acceptable. If you don’t like a food there is nothing worse than being forced to eat it. Heart pounds, forehead moistens, nausea sweeps through the minute it touches your tongue.

One colleague revealed yesterday that visible chopped onion in a cooked dish and her stomach reels. If it is chopped finely and disguised by other ingredients she can eat the dish but, if this is not the case, she flees the room.

Allie explained her Gran was not a gifted cook, producing big all-in-one dishes, which provided the prevalent memory of a scummy pool of liquid sitting on top of the food bulk, paprika and onion pieces rotating in circles, hypnotising her into a lifelong fear of onion and paprika.

You’ll be pleased to hear I have no such scarring memory.

As you well know, I think baked beans are Satan’s spawn on earth, something I was mocked for ruthlessly at uni, baked beans being the staple part of 99.9% of the student body’s diet. Statistical fact.

They have a vile, watery, mushy texture and insipid taste and they look minging, slithering about the plate like conscious entities. What’s to like??

But this hatred was not sparked by being force fed them as a child. You have always been very respectful of the fact that I have point blank refused to eat them.

I do have one recent memory that fed the fire of loathing. An old boyfriend’s housemates bought an industrial size can of the foodstuff. One day, one housemate decided to open it, took a spoonful and left the small vat tucked away in a cupboard. It was forgotten about for weeks, until the then boyfriend unearthed it, its top layer blanketed in a green moss of mould.

I was one lucky lady to be witness to this discovery. We discussed the subsequent course of action as I hid beneath the kitchen table.

He rightly pointed out it wouldn’t be sensible to put the contents into the bin in case the bin leaked, and it was a non-starter to pour it down the sink. He settled upon depositing it down the toilet but, the vessel being so big, this took several stints.

Think about it... The consistency of baked beans and the sound it would make hitting water. It sounded like he wasn’t very well, particularly as the sound of heavy dollops and the accompanied trickling juices was interspersed by flushes of the toilet.

A golden memory.

Every fear and phobia must have a cause, whether it’s obviously inspired by real life events, like the onion pieces, or something slumbering in the unconscious and only awoken when provoked. Like Sara’s button phobia.

Whilst it seems perverse, I agree there is something forlorn and miserable about an orphaned button – once useful and now forgotten about, once adorning a cardigan and now sticky with cobweb and dust behind the back of a cupboard.

Perhaps Sara’s phobia is that she really fears a similar reality, being useless and unwanted, left waiting for someone to rediscover and reinvent her.

Or perhaps Sara simply needs to man up and collect neglected buttons in a Quality Street tin, therefore both facing her fear and turning it into a positive.

BUT that doesn’t mean I should start eating baked beans. I’d rather eat Allie’s Gran’s scummy stew.

***

What is YOUR phobia, Reader of this blog. Yes, YOU. (No doubt Brontë edited out a paragraph similar to this blog in ‘Jane Eyre,’ in which Jane admits her darkest fear is of monsters under the bed or in the attic). I would like to know YOUR fear, Reader, however simple of perverse it is. It can be weird, wonderful or magnificently woeful. And why do you think, Reader, this phobia haunts you? Is there method to your madness? Please comment below, in a therapeutic admission and exploration of your darkest thoughts... 

6 comments:

  1. Mice. I know it's not that uncommon, but the thought of them does actually make me shiver and seeing them does actually make me scream. Like in cartoons, I have found myself jumping onto a dining room chair when my friend squeeled at the sight of one running across the room. And I didn't even see it. Needless to stay, i didn't stick around long enough to see it for myself ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very logical phobia - it's the way they scurry, they're far too fast and twitchy. I once went to a sleepover and this girl's house had mice. Her words of comfort were "All it will do is either poop on you or bite you." ... Our friendship soon ended.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well not really a phobia, but a strong and passionate hatred for sandwiches. Most people just stare at me open mouthed in disbelief when I tell them and they find it very funny. Which I can tell you it most certainly isn’t. Subway is my nightmare, just walking past one I have to hold my breath. One of my friends tried to give me ‘sandwich rehab’ which consisted of how long could I stand in a subway for, it didn’t last that long before I had to go outside to breathe!
    I just don’t understand what there is to like about them….they smell, the look horrible, a tomato inside makes the bread soggy, they make me feel physically sick. Egg and tuna sandwiches being the worst. Eugh, making me feel rather grim just writing about it. So no, not a phobia but a strong (very strong) dislike, which no one else appears to understand! As for phobias, I don’t think I have one…maybe a giant sandwich? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that! There is too much in a sandwhich, and I must say the sight of a thick layer of butter slapped on bread with, as you say, a tomato slice slithering on top of it does put me off a sandwhich.

      Note to self: do not go in fancy dress for Poppy's birthday dressed as a sandwhich...

      Delete
  4. I've only recently got over my phobia of wooden spoons... Well, it was more of a repulsion than a phobia. I used to want to gag everytime I touched one of them, I used to cover my hands with my sleves everytime I had to hold one. They really used to disgust me. One time in my second year a load of my housemates filled my bed with Poundland - the indignity! - wooden spoons. It was just something about the graininess of how they feel, the vile scrape they make on the bottom of the pan. Now I'm writing it, I feel a bit nautious. I have however trained myself to function with a wooden spoon in my hand through sheer force of will.

    One phobia I've always had, and I don't think I'll ever get over, is frogs. I completely freeze up whenever I see one near me, even if they're one of those "cute" little ones. It's the way they move that freaks me out, the fact that they can be one place, then suddenly another by jumping. They are just vile. There used to be a greetings card in the library which had a picture of a frog holding a wooden spoon on... That is truly the stuff of nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting. Wooden spoons?? That is up there with the buttons.

      But I take your point about the texture - I think that's often part of the issue. like a piece of kitchen roll or a towel rubbed rubbed together.... *shiver*..... Ming.

      And I agree with frogs. They're like spiders - they're fast and you don't know what they're thinking!!!

      Note to self: do not send Thom that card for his birthday.

      Delete