Tuesday 1 November 2011

Do they know it’s Christmas time... in November?

Dear Mum,

It was a joy to spend Halloween at home.  I was very touched that my previous blog did not fall on deaf ears as my trick or treating duties were adopted by Dad.

Who, I think, was a whole lot better at it than I was. And I’m not just saying that.

For example, after answering the door and cheerily exclaiming, “Well, you all look very scary. Well done, you all deserve a treat,” he did not proceed to slam the door and mutter “stupid Halloween” as is my habit.

All in all, a much better ambassador for Halloween than myself.

And, please note, I did try to throw myself into the spirit of things. I assisted in your candlelit display on the front porch.

And it is for this very reason I’m sorry that the doorbell only rang twice. Whilst it made for a pleasant, undisturbed evening, it was a shame more children weren’t able to admire the spectacle.

I am also sorry that, whilst enjoying your company and home comforts, I paid a visit to Chunder Town. Or, more specifically, several visits.

I’m sorry that the piercing echoes of my retching kept you awake and that, from thereon, I turned my nose up at any food other than toast and crackers.

(Note to self: don’t eat all of the trick or treating sweets out of sympathy for your disappointed mother).

The good news is Halloween is done and dusted.

The bad news is supermarkets are stacking their shelves with mince pies. A chilling reminder of the mutability of time.

This marketing choice of retailers evokes anger in the vast majority of our society.

It finds it confusing and unsettling to hear the trills of “Santa Claus is coming to town” as one meanders around a department store in October.

I think I am alone, however, in having no objection to retailers introducing Christmas decorations and gifts in Autumn.

Being surrounded by festive items now means one can eye up Christmas presents, mull them over and purchase them before the mad rush of December, when Christmas present shopping is just as stressful, undignified and uncomfortable as heaving Haribo Halloween mix into a toilet bowl.

Furthermore, stocks are high earlier in the season, not battered from rigorous manhandling and one has the luxury of seeking out the best deals.

Plus, I just like Christmas.

I like the fact it brings family and friends together to share in its many traditions. I like the fact it offers a wealth of happy memories.

Seeing Christmas trees now reminds me of this season of goodwill and makes me think of my nearest and dearest.

Although I do draw the line at eating mince pies. I have some standards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment